April 22, 2012

i'll miss you, austin

I've compiled a Top 10 list of things I will miss the most in Austin...here it goes.

10. Downtown - The Frost bank tower, the Capital, South Congress, Alamo Drafthouse6th street,...there's just nothing like downtown Austin. Home to a countless number of live shows, unique shopping (and people. RIP, Leslie), amazing food and drinks, sing-a-long's, and numerous locations to get down with your bad self. Best downtown in my book.

9. Scenic Routes - Out here in the "South" when driving from one big town to another, you pass miles and miles of open land. You may drive through several SMALL towns that have a close resemblance to Mayberry and each one are never without their own "Main Street." You may drive pass an old, deserted barn in the middle of acres of green, luscious land with a broken wooden fence lining the property. You may even come across Winkleman, TX...and pee your pants. (Check out the link.) All this was just nothing I was used to in SoCal where land was sold and built upon like it was going out of style. (Does that even make sense?? Ah well...)

8. Music/Venues - I'm sure bands played in several places in SoCal, but it always seemed like a hassle to get to those places: sitting in hours of traffic in transit and then you end up paying your college tuition in parking and event tickets. Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World and it lives up to that title fo' sho.' It also helps that it has some of the most fun and lively venues around...most with some awesome history too.

7. Town Lake - Austin is quite the health-conscious, outdoors/nature loving, active city. And why wouldn't you want to enjoy your freshly squeezed papaya-kumquat-lychee-spinach juice with organic grass chips and a sprouts sandwich on 36-grain bread while running 26.2 miles when you live in such a beautiful city? I didn't quite reach that point while living out here, but I did enjoy some fun times kayaking on the lake downtown and taking in the beautiful scenery.

6.  Dancing - Again, I'm sure there are plenty of clubs in SoCal, but there was just something "small town-esque" in going downtown to 6th street to tear up a rug. Never a bad idea to go dancing with these peeps.

5. Food - It's not a secret that my favorite past (present and future) time is eating. My name literally translated means "round child." Not joking here. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for that self-fulfilling prophecy. Austin is home to some award winning and world-renowned restaurants...lucky for Round Child. For your mouth-watering pleasure, check out Chuy's, Salt Lick, and Hopdoddy's. And then you'll want to check out property in the area.
Hopdoddy's Kobe beef burger

4. Road Trips - Texas is rather huge. So big that it has several states bordering it. Living in somewhat of the center of the US of A, it was pretty common to take trips to these bordering states to visit friends or just to travel with friends. Oklahoma, Louisiana, and New Mexico. Check, check, and check. Dallas was a common meet up spot with OKC's very own Jaci. Love that gal!

3. Job - I consider myself extremely blessed to have invested my time, energy, and heart in a job that I believe in. Being able to serve abused and neglected children has brought more joy and teachable moments than I could have ever imagined. I wish I could post every face that I had the privilege of loving over the last 4 years, but unfortunately I can't. For more information on the work I do, please check out Starry.

2. Austin Stone Community Church - The teaching at the Stone has convicted, challenged, and motivated me unlike anything before. A lot of what was preached was not the easiest to hear and I appreciated that. It brought me to my knees often and I gained an urgency to study scripture more. The Stone's purpose is to be for the city and not just in the city, and I have never seen a body of believers moved to action such as them.

1. Friends - No words will be able to express the love and appreciation I have for these people. They provided endless laughter, adequate inappropriateness, community, prayer, encouragement, adorable children, cute pet's, and, of course, Blingle Bells Ball 2010. If I ever doubted God's love for me, it was proven through these people in my life.

 I am overwhelmed with love for ALL of you and will miss you incredibly!

**Since I am not one for plagiarism I give credit where credit is due. Some of these photo's are from the gallery of none other than THE Jamie Lapeyrolerie. Check out her work! It's like an ice cream sundae for your eyes. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment