October 22, 2012

simply the best

As time passes by me, I've realized in my "mature" years that I truly cherish the simple things. I would take the simple over the extravagant any day. And by "simple things" I guess I mean just being in the presence of the ones I love, engaging in great conversations, sharing life lessons, and laughing A TON...because laughter only comes in Tons when with my peeps. In a recent conversation with a close friend she stated that we (our close girl group) are all at a point in life that our meet up's don't necessarily have to be somewhere that provides a packed agenda of Must-See's, To-Do's, or Go-Here's; our main need is to just be with each other for the amount of time life allows us.

This weekend mi amiga, Erin, and I drove up the coast to meet up with our good friends Lena and Robin so we could all celebrate Robin's birthday with her and her family together. I have learned so much from Robin over the past several years as she loves, honors, and supports her husband, as she selflessly mothers her 3 daughters with strength and determination, and as she strives to serve those in need with urgency and passion.

Another admiring thing about Robin and Jim is the way they choose to live lives filled more with loving others and showing how to love rather than filling their lives with materialism and "treasures of the world." After time spent with her I always walk away with more respect for who she is, what she's gone through, and her honesty about it all. Read her blog and you'll come to the same conclusions.

So how did we celebrate Robin? Morning started out with a yummy, homemade, American breakfast by her oh-so talented, man of many hats, husband Jim...with a little bit of help from his cooking elves...ahem, Lena, Erin, Mariko. Then off for mani's and pedi's for the ladies. Home for some game time with the little ladies. Quick Mexican lunch. Some fun by the sand, around a lighthouse. Back home for some outdoor swinging, tree-climbing, pumpkin-naming, song-creating, boots-wearing time. And what was for dinner? Japanese food, of course! And, seriously, I had nothing to do with that decision...Robin and Jim just think that the Japanese are the most genius people in the human race and they believe that one day Japan will hold dominion over the entire world. Or, they may just enjoy the food...whatever, same difference.
Ami's choice of footwear for tree climbing: boots.
Maya's choice of footwear for swinging: 1 flip-flop on, 1 flip-flop off
The little ladies then went to bed and it was time for the bigger ladies (and Jim) to play some Apples to Apples, eat birthday ice cream cake, and let the delirium laughter consume us. It was seriously perfect. When I think about how the day went and how it ended, 5 of us sitting on the floor in a living room whispering the happy birthday song with Robin blowing out her candle, my heart smiles. Simplicity. One of the best birthdays I've ever been apart of.


Thanks for letting us share your birthday with you and the fam, Robin! Grateful for you in my life and treasure every moment of time spent with you!

1 comment: