November 18, 2012

bow to your sensei

I'm sure it seems like I'm just chillin' here visiting grandparents, climbing mountains, stamping my name on everything I can find, and taking bus rides with little old ladies all around Southern Japan for giggles, but have no fear! I am being wise-ish and searching for a job as well.

Before I even came out here I had told myself that I would use that first month to settle down and find a job. A month. Great. I arrived in Japan on October 31st and November 1st I went into panic mode. We're talking Code Red style. "I don't have a job! What am I doing?! I'm not hearing from the people I contacted! How do I look for a job in Japan?! I'm so going to have to do the "walk/swim/fly of shame" back to the US!!"

One of the ways God is overwhelming me with His provision is through the people He has brought into my life here. The people of the church here are incredible and so filled with kindness. One of the ladies there mentioned that she teaches at an English Conversational School here in town and they are in desperate need of more teachers as all of them are overloaded. I shared with her I was interested and next thing I knew I'm talking with her boss and having classes scheduled for the following week. I'm tutoring English one-on-one with people ranging from 10 to 60 years of age. Schedule is very flexible and allows me to take time off when I need it. Also, the school felt my name was too Japanese sounding (most likely because it IS Japanese), and since I don't have a nickname we are using my middle name so to my students I am Marie-sensei. Whoop! (**"Sensei" is "teacher" in Japanese.)

There have been several other referrals from people for places in need of English teachers/tutors. None of which I had spoken to before coming out here. Crazy, huh? I can only try to do so much in my own power, but God's plan will always prevail...whether it's the way I was planning to go or not.

I would like to also note here that I had a similar episode when moving to Austin from Cali. That panic session began in the car ride before arrival into the state even. And what happened? God provided through the people He placed in my life. I should probably take a hint and remember this pattern/habit for the next time I do a big move. Hold me accountable, Internet.




6 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with using your middle name! hehe! Love your honestly, faith and positive journey with acceptance that the Lord will prevail and has incredible plans that you are entrusting Him with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. マリーせんせい!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are indeed your Mother's daughter, Mariko san!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariko, Do you remember me? I've known your Dad since he was a kid and your Mom since he married her. It was a beautiful wedding! I hope it is OK that I have been following your Blog for some time now and I really admire you and what you are doing. I like the way you write and through your writing I know you have become a very nice person. Haven't seen much of you since you have grown up but I remember the cute little girl you were. Keep listening to the Lord and follow your heart because it belongs to Him.
    Best wishes,
    Mrs. Rosen (that is what your Mom and Dad always calls me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you! You are so sweet!! And it has been a long time. I hope you are doing well! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. You're a sensei!!! I'll be sure to tell Max of your name change. :)

    ReplyDelete